Thursday, October 23, 2008

On friendship, betrayal and forgiveness

The most amazing thing happened to me yesterday. This is because for the first time in my life, I discovered the meaning of human cruelty. In my own humble existence, I had never envisage how mean and inconsiderate a person can be until now. The short 5 words uttered to me may seem insignificant to many people but to me, were almost unbearable as I ended an extremely succinct and surreal conversation in a dazed.












The main issue is not about letting go. I know it’s important to let bygones be bygones. Letting go is part of life and people do move on, some quicker than others. I have no difficulty in letting go as I understand that there is no use expending unnecessary energy over events I cannot alter.


The crux of the matter is how much of respect you should give to someone you consider as a friend and how much of respect I deserve in return. I have lost all respect and amicable trust in one single conversation as a result of possible betrayal and I am not sure if any friendship is possible. It left me wondering what terrible things have I done to my friend to deserve such action. In my soul-searching, I really couldn't single out any bad thing that I have done to earn this mean conversation. In this entire year, IMHO I have poured out only sincere, good-will and warm care.

In order to maintain my dignity, faith and joy, I am considering forgiveness and then forgetting the whole issue and the person on a whole. It will not come easily but I find that bitterness and sarcasm don’t really suit me. So I decide to retain my cheerful optimism and think of the best in every person, no matter how deep the hurt. However, it is still personally crucial that I release forgiveness and obtain closure on this matter, once and for all. As I embark on a path of forgiveness and healing, I guess things can only improve from now on. What goes down must come up and truly when we hit rock bottom, there is only 1 way to go…up.

2 comments:

koolgeek said...

suddenly you come to realize this world is full of people who don't think the same way as you do.

William aka saswilee said...

Like M.Ghandhi have had said; " An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind". Forgive and forget