Friday, June 5, 2009

A run, a car and plenty of food

The adidas Sundown Marathon has gained popularity among many runners, especially for those around this region. After all, how many races offer a whopping 84 km ultramarathon? Utterly crazy, super-duper extremism isn't it? However I've found out something totally out of this world recently for there are also some other legendary races in the ultramarathon category, like this race that has such a bad-ass name, it scares you just by its name : Badwater Ultramarathon.









Ah...Badwater Ultramarathon : recognized globally as "the world's toughest foot race," this legendary event pits up to 90 of the world’s toughest athletes—runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers—against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c), it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet.




The start line is at Badwater, Death Valley, which marks the lowest elevation in North America at 280’ (85m) below sea level. The race finishes at Mt. Whitney Portal at 8360' (2533m). The Badwater course covers three mountain ranges for a total of 13,000’ (3962m) of cumulative vertical ascent and 4,700’ (1433m) of cumulative descent. Whitney Portal is the trailhead to the Mt. Whitney summit, the highest point in the contiguous United States.













I'm just glad that all I did was a mere 10 km 'run' ( I was more of a jogger actually, considering my timing!). No way I'm ever going to run Badwater..maybe I could 'encourage' my super-runner roomie PS to do it though. Hhhhmm..now that's a very interesting thought that I could, in a sublime way, insinuate to my crazy-about-running chum.




Night running aside, there are actually a lot of interesting things we found in Singapore. For example, Fiat has a pink car just for Barbie. And in it, there are a lot of Barbie dolls. It was P. Hilton's dream come true. Literally, saccharine sweet and all that's nice ain't it? Gulp....







We also found a lot of sweet delights scattered in shopping centres throughout the island. I paraphrase that. PS found a lot of wonderful, sweet stuff all over Singapore while I busy myself with taking pictures and rolling my eyes.





Somehow, I suddenly realized that no matter what I talk about, I will end up with pictures of food in any of my posts. Maybe I should rename this blog into Dream, Changes and Munchies. I'm also strongly suspecting whether we run because we eat, or we eat because we run.




Either way, I guess Singapore do offer some gastronomic wonders up her sleeves, albeit slightly costly. Of course I wish I could run faster, longer, better but that's another story isn't it? Multitasking is not a very easy job as this person has a plenty of interests and a lot of distractions in life!

No comments: