Friday, August 28, 2009

Let's Go Prego

It's not often that I get to eat really classy, gourmet-type of food. However, we had a chance to go dine at a fine-dining place in Westin Hotel, Bukit Bintang. Yup, we were in Prego!










From the moment we entered, there was a lot of expensive-looking good wine and liquor on display. With tasteful lighting and modernistic decor, suddenly I felt underdressed. Thank goodness it was only lunch.








As customary, we were greeted by a cute-looking waiter and a bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Why? Just like in any other authentic Italian restaurant, we are 'encouraged' to chew on their home-made bread while waiting for our appetizers to come.



Looking around us (while waiting), it's easy to be completely at ease and at peace. The whole place is so warm and airy..with giant windows and bright sunlight streaming in while the busy traffic bustled about outside, it's almost like another world.





Fashionable ladies and happy tourists walked past us as strong wind rustled the trees along Jalan Bkt Bintang. As the little yellow petals fluttered by, I feel transported to somewhere else...like a small cafe in Rome or Paris. A truly idyllic afternoon huh?




Anyhow, food came quicker than we thought and the theme of the day was : TOMATO AND CHEESE






Both our appetizers featured juicy, sundried tomatoes and tasty gooey cheese. Mine has rockets, feta cheese, figs and tomatoes and I loved its freshness. The salty cheese is the perfect foil to the sweet figs.








Main meal was...not much different. I expected a nice pizza..but Calzone was more like a giant curry puff with 'Italianized' fillings. Of course the salami in it was brilliant but I felt I made a wrong choice. There was a lot of tomato in it so much so that at the end of the meal, I was bursting with tomato goodness from the whole experience.







Anyway, the servings were HUGE. I packed my food and ate half of it for breakfast the next morning. To give them credit, the calzone actually tasted good even the next day. BK had some sort of grilled chicken with a tomato-based sauce. I thought it was a better dish compared to mine. I reminded myself : Thou shalt not covet....



So my verdict : Prego is definitely the place to go when you are in town accompanied with a gigantic craving for good Italian food AND with a thick, well-padded wallet.
P.S: The meal was 'partially-sponsored' (but not by the restaurant)...so I kinda hope that someday, I will be a food blogger par excellence and someone in the food industry will actually sponsor me. I promise to run more to burn off the extra goodies!












1 comment:

BK said...

You better enjoy it. It's over RM1xx per head for the set lunch.