Thursday, November 27, 2008

10 Reasons why 2008 is not so horrible after all Part 1

I was looking at the calendar the other day and then it dawned upon me.



“Oh my God, I’ve been in Teluk Intan for 2 years now. It’s so fast. What have I done for myself and for God?”


Aside from passing 2 exams in the process and learning a lot of surgical skills, initially I’m not sure whether I’ve achieved anything that’s significant. That’s until I begin to analyze each period of time in my life and list down the good things that happened in my supposedly-horrid year and surprise, surprise..this is a great year after here. So, the top 10 reasons why 2008 is not so horrid after all :

























10. Physical activities


The fitness freak in me came to life when my buddies encouraged me to start exercising. As I’m a determined person and normally as stubborn as a mule, I don’t usually give up on things. However, it is also not easy to convince myself to do something unless I can achieve something tangible from it, being a very purpose-oriented person.

I began to run regularly, roller-blade with gusto and hike on occasions. For heaven’s sake, I even ran in three 10-km races, which is a big deal for a previously known couch potato and bookworm like me.











9. Blog and Photography

I love writing! Other than talking (another one of my favourite past-time), I feel that I’m much more eloquent when it comes to the written word. As for the art of taking pictures, I think I’m improving in it as I put in more efforts on taking nicer pictures and taking baby steps in mastering Photoshop.

Of course I’ve been whining and sighing about how much I long for a dslr and blah, blah, blah but the fact is that I don’t take that much of photographs to really justify owning something that good….except for the fact that I do covet a good camera. Like how I want a particular car which I know that realistically, I will not purchase in this lifetime. Sigh, people do crave for things that they can’t have isn’t it?










8. CG

It’s official. We’ve finally realized our dream of having a small care group in TI for the doctors here. Next week, we are celebrating the first anniversary of our little CG & it’s so exciting to see how God moves in our lives. A fellow co-founder is getting married in Dec while another girl is also tying the knot. It’s great to see such a vibrant and happy community supporting and encouraging each other when we are far away from our family members.


Not only that, PETI and so many of the community events that we have organized were quite beneficial to the local population in many ways unexpectedly. We do look forward to more ideas and fun in the year ahead!











7. Wisdom and wit


I don’t mean to say that I was stupid prior to this but I guess I was very naïve when it comes to certain things and people. This year has been a landmark year for me as I begin to realize that there are mean and cruel people in this world who only love themselves. These people will not care about others unless they can gain something from the person. Although I still choose to believe that there is goodness in everyone, I learn that we must discern wisely and sieve out the bad from the good. Enough said.














6. Courage and sense of adventure


I’ve finally let myself experience something unknown for the first time in my life. I mean, going to another country and learning to work in a totally different environment may be hard in the beginning, but I look forward to the adventure of it all. This is my first venture in working in another country as I intend to travel even further to experience life elsewhere. As I prepare to go sample life elsewhere and it’s a long way to go before I actually pack up, I pray that this is a right move in the right direction and not just a temporary decision made at the spur of the moment.




To be continued….my next 5 bright sparks in 2008 and why I decided that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, finally!

No comments: