Saturday, August 7, 2010

My degeneration

I've fallen down this dark, slippery slope of...non-running. Oh goodness, I didn't run for 2 weeks and it's scary. To think I have 2 races coming up in 1 month's time. Aaaah!


It all began on the crazy week last month when I had to fly back KL to and fro, my sister came and then my good friend came. Since they all took turns coming one by one, I was busy the entire week, bringing them around.


We consumed some tried and tested delicacies but there were some interesting discoveries as well.



For once, I discovered that the Merlion looks really small compared to pictures. And the Marina bay area is really clean and atmospheric at night, especially when we cannot see the dust and exhaust fumes from the nearby vehicles :-P






Another discovery: I didn't know that there was a pasar malam at Bugis, highly reminiscent of Petaling Street in KL, albeit sanitized and quieter. And without the ladies of the night! Or their 'managers'! And without the ubiquitous fake Rolexes and Tag Heuers. :-)




We stumbled upon this food stall that was packed with people but we couldn't read the signboard. Because it was all in Mandarin..and this two completely Chinese girls cannot really read Mandarin...sigh....The food looked yummy though. WW and I decided to give it a try (feeling very adventurous that night). After all, we could speak the language therefore, nothing stopping us from ordering something we are completely clueless about.



For less than $5 a person, we both gotten very good deals. We each have this little 'basin' of noodles and condiments from a lot of ingredients that we can choose from. It's like d-i-y noodles. The best part was the chicken-based broth.



It was spicy, but not to the point of tongue-numbing. There is this deepy meaty and savoury taste to it, reminding me of the original soup-noodles I have tasted in Yunnan, China. It's a toned down, Singaporeanized version of Szechuan food. And we adored it!






On the same night, we decided to pay Butter Factory a visit. Now to those non-happening people out there, basically BF is THE night-spot to go to nowadays. The crowd was suspiciously young-looking, barely old enough to tie shoe-laces type.


I kinda regret bringing WW, my guest from KL, waiting in the line. We spent 40 bloody minutes (pardon my explicit language!) waiting in a long, snaking queue trying to get into a small place. I figured out it was hopeless.






Guess who was the first one to give up? Me! Yeah, probably I feel my age catching up as I see many nubile young creatures with the smallest amount of fabric, tottering on high-heels getting in the fastest way possible (via the VIP line) while we were standing on guard. I mean, people waited longer to see me in the hospital.


I had enough. Being extremely dehydrated and marginally grumpy, we decided a few good (and feel-good) drinks at the nearby watering hole (i.e Speakeasy). I love my 'white rabbit' drink, although God knows what they put in there in view of the dark bar. It's eons better than waiting in the line in this humid, hot island.








My gals didn't give up. They wanted to head to CQ, (not the custom quarantine offices) but deep inside, I was getting a bit reluctant bcoz I was the only one about to work at 9am the next day.



As we bundled ourselves into the taxi, I have a feeling that things are about to get really complicated. I wanted to go out with my friends but I don't want to be dead during working hours. I deal with life and death situations after all.



When it boils down to common sense vs fun quotient, I guess I'm already struck by the early signs of ageing. When we reach CQ, I told them I really need to go back home to sleep. Therefore, there goes my night of partying.







Anyway, as a compensation, I promised them that we will definitely go out when my 'treatment' is over...which is in 2 months' time. Yay!



So, to end the story, I still need to motivate myself to run. Therefore, I had this good cheese platter and the Purple plate at this place called 2 a.m dessert bar near my house. Oh, by the way, this is a few days after...when I have gotten enough beauty sleep.



You may ask, what's so special about this place? Other than the laidback atmosphere and the extremely small servings (they must be specializing in the molecular gastronomy thingy), I didn't find the menu extremely appealing. At least the music is good!



Will I come again? Just like BF, I'll probably visit this place only if I have no other choice. Sorry to those BF and DB fans out there! Once bitten, twice shy :-D

No comments: