Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hakka Yong Tau Foo: Lost and found in SG!

Yes, I found it...real tasty YTF in Singapore. All the way in the East though.



The raw fish (first dish shown) was awesome - better than any sashimi u could find if u are into funky Chinese-style sashimi seasoned with bountiful amount of sesame oil and chinese parsley.

Basically, growing up with home-made YTF of the highest quality (thanx to my lovely nanny) means that I'm very picky when it comes to the fish paste used as stuffing. Sometimes, it's just too flat, and other times, too flour-y. So far, the hawker centres here are just barely passing the grade. Therefore, I have been yearning for a place with good-quality fish paste for the past few years.



I've found it! This store Goldhill Hakka Yong Tau Foo at Changi Road is situated next to the Simpang Yong Tau Foo which was formerly of Simpang Bedok fame. When we arrived, this store was jam-packed with customers compared to the latter, hence the obvious choice. 

What I love about the food is that not only it's tasty, it's quite nutritious too. We didn't order any rice but satisfied our carbs craving by the Hakka Yam Abacus, which is my comfort food while growing up. The fish paste was tasty but still not 100% up to mark as they over-processed the paste, thus making it taste slightly 'flat'. Nevertheless, I appreciated the authentic taste and don't mind having this again (Having found my heritage-food after such a long search, I'm a happy bunny now haha!) 

Anyway, my favourite dish in this restaurant? Has to be the yam-abacus dish that reminded me of my childhood. Next top recommendation is the yu sheng (raw fish)....looking forward to trying more dishes here (the clams, seafood, mixed vegetable, etc) in this fuss-free restaurant. Hardly any service but a lot of good food indeed!

Address: Goldhill Hakka Restaurant 299A Changi Road Singapore 419777. 11.30am-4pm daily (Closed Mondays).

No comments: